“It’s estimated that out of every 11,000 signals we receive from our senses, our brain only consciously processes 40.” That means most of life is habitual. They’re there. Even the good or the bad ones. The thing is to know how to control them and modify them, edit them or erase them.
If behind every bad habit there’s a good intention then why don’t break them and discover our new self? Bad habits are as addictive as good habits are that’s why we can’t stop them easily. Of course it’s up to us to keep them away of our lives. But what do you consider as a bad habit? Yelling at someone all the time can be considered as a bad habit, smoking, alcoholism, biting nails or even leaving the dishes undone. All that habits lead somewhere; somewhere that it’s not pleasant at all. For instance if you stop leaving the dishes undone then your kitchen is not going to be anymore a smelly mess, so you have to stop doing it OR if you quit smoking then you’re fingers is no longer going to be smelly and yellowy etc etc.
- Firstly decide which bad habit you’re going to break.
- Then focus on changing that habit just for 30 days. It’s not going to be easy but if you really want it you’re gonna make it.
- Figure a new ‘something’ every time you want to do the bad habit. For example let’s say you quit smoking, then every time you need to smoke, you have to figure something to do to replace it, such as snapping your fingers. It’s going to be your new habit.
- Give your friend an amount of money, and tell him to give them back to you when you finally complete 30 days without fail.
- Get that thing out of your mind. Completely. Consider you don’t want it, don’t need it and you don’t even ask for it.
- Replace the old bad habit with a new good habit. Mix around with new ones until you find something that suits you.
- Research. Start reading books or blogs about your bad habits.
Breaking bad habits is all about getting a deeper insight of the habit and the need its trying to satisfy. After that you’re going to believe so much in you, that you can also achieve things you didn’t even know you can. Believing in yourself is one of the most important things anyone can achieve.
If you can make it for 30, you can make it forever.